Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The OKGOP leaves yet another bad impression


*editors note: this was written by a freshman GOP House member last week and given to us by an ally. The only thing changed was we added Pam Pollard's name behind the first reference to the State Chair and our source suggested the title to reflect his views on the result of the corruption.
Let me explain why I'm extending a frame of reference to those who may come up to the Capitol to talk party politics with some of us in the freshmen class.I freely admit, I jumped into the deep end of politics winning my House race this election cycle and being a part of what I hope is positive change for the state.  
I've always felt more conservative at the national level but that things need to be local control at the state level. We've been on the wrong track with poor leadership here at home for years. What I have learned so far is that each district has different priorities and ideas, and this is a team effort to move the ball on hard policy. We got a huge amount of bills passed from both chambers and the mood seems good.I was talking with some other Representatives after our Tuesday's freshman lunch and the discussion was about whether the party is a hindrance or benefit to us. What has happened just recently in Coal Co., among others, is a textbook example of why many of my new colleagues have a disdain towards the state party. 
In Coal County, a by-the-rules GOP county convention was called for on a Friday night with the absolute minimum of notice (I believe Wednesday night it went out, and with the State Chair's (Pam Pollard) full blessing). This set the stage to put the thumb on the scale of the county convention. The State Chair working with a political consultant, was able to seat 15 registered Republicans. I'm assuming it was intended to be an in-and-out to get their agenda done. A local conservative was able to muster enough registered Republicans (17 in total) to show up to put a halt to their acts.The convention went forward, Chair and Vice Chair were voted on, and the county convention adjourned. 
Now, as I've come to understand, when the county convention ends, it's case closed. However, the State Chair is now refusing to seat the delegates from Coal County because she was defeated. I'm not interested in casting stones all that much, but it's a very poor reflection of character to cheat people of their duly elected representation.I'm a Republican with an R next to my district number. But it sure seems very Hillary like to come in, put your thumb on a convention's scales, throw a hissy fit over the result, and then pretend it never happened! Whether it was because the State Chair became upset a personal friend lost, or she was working in cahoots with a pay-to-play consultant; it's just bad form. 
I know that similar calendar tactics have been done recently in other counties, but I will have to leave that with the readers to infer why someone would play those games.If the state party and it's cheerleaders would like to be friendly with lawmakers; it might help to listen to their own medicine of follow-the-rules, and local control is best control! Maybe the OKGOP will right the ship, but that'll take a real change in leadership and culture.